Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Hollandaise is a DELICIOUS sauce that goes well with multiple things but it's most often seen with egg benedictine. It is pretty much a mayonnaise made with butter instead of oil. It is not an easy recipe and it takes a bit of practice to master. If you follow carefully the steps, everything should go well and it's going to be well worth your time!
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 table spoons or 30ml of freshly squeezed lemon
- 2 table spoons or 30ml of water
- 1 cup or 250ml of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Salt & Pepper
- Bain marie (Bowl in a sauce pan with water in it)
- Set your bain marie and wait until the water simmers
- Whisk in the lemon juice, water and egg yolk. Careful not to cook the eggs, no curds should appear in the preparation!
- Remove the bowl from heat and start drizzling slowly the butter while whisking non-stop. If the butter is too hot at this step, the eggs could cook as well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
It is now ready to be added to whatever meal you want. It's excellent with salmon, eggs benedictine and vegetables.